I am a Mother.
I had written out the entire gory detailed story on how it had come about but my Health Visitor arrived shortly after and I lost it all. Always press save!
Oh well, no one really wants to read about the whole thing - so I shall summarise.
It was long, it was not straight forward and it ended with the best surprise of my life. The Midwives, student Midwives, Doctors, surgical team, anesthesiologist & hospital staff were all fantastic.
Notable moments :
- Sixty-four hours of contractions and no sleep during latent labour.
- Injuring myself during the beginning of my active labour.
- My “Labour Mix” playing a random selection of showtunes and songs that relax me for twelve hours straight repeatedly.
- Frustratingly seeing my three cheerleaders face go from elation to depression with every push.
- The doctor informing me we were now in an emergency situation.
- Holding my student Midwife’s hand all through surgery.
- Watching “the worst magic trick” happening to my vagina from the reflection in the lights.
- Repeatedly saying ‘shit’ upon seeing my child pulled from me.
- My husband telling me we have a daughter.
- Realising our wants/needs/sleep are taking a backseat to this tiny human’s.
Cue Patrick Stewart’s intro dialogue to “Star Trek : The Next Generation”.
Not an instructional blog but the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth - so help me Mom.